Tuesday 6 October 2015

What I would do different if I wasn't on a student budget

I am writing this list to my future self who may laugh at it and hopefully be rich enough and young enough to do things differently! 
  • Not eaten from super markets in Norway. Eating bread and nutella for any and every meal is indeed sad. Not eaten pizza or noodles in Paris! 
  • Cancelled the train and stayed in Stavanger after the body breaking trek that Kjerag turned out to be. 
  • Not take Ryan air flights from godforsaken airports.
  • Taken a river cruise or eaten at one of those boats that take you through the river in the evening in Paris 
  • Eaten in those pretty looking cafes with outdoor seating in cobblestoned streets - in Salzburg, Werfen, Krakow, Koeln, Paris and i guess every European city I'll go to. 
  • Seen a show and had that dinner worth 180 Euros in Moulin Rouge. 
  • Taken the Thalys from Koeln to Paris. For the experience, convenience and time saved.
  • Gone inside the castle/ palace at Salzburg having done the 20 minute climb to the gate and for the better view of the city it promised.
  • Visited more museums in general. Every city I've been to has loads of museums and I haven't gone inside several thinking they are huge, I won't have time to see them properly and hence do justice to the exorbitant fee I would be paying to enter. If I wasn't on a budget, I'd probably think less. 
That said, I am thoroughly enjoying going around Europe on a student budget and some of these constraints are making for wonderful stories I'll remember for a long time.

Comment with things you'd like to add! 

2 comments:

  1. Within the totem pole7 October 2015 at 01:40

    Salzburg castle isn't worth it, really. Only the view is half decent, the castle itself isn't much. The only time it makes sense to go inside is during some nights, they have like a small Mozart concert for 100-150 people.

    Aren't most museums free upon showing a student id?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. okay. But like they say - you regret the things you don't do more than the ones you do!
    And yeah, some museums are free but some aren't! :(

    ReplyDelete