Monday 9 September 2013

I just smiled

“IIT ka naam aap ke saath lag gaya uske baad toh accha package milega hi”, said the man sitting next to me. I just smiled in reply.

I was coming back to Roorkee on the jan shatabdi, the train that I have taken more times than any other. Sitting next to me, was this man from the army, posted in Roorkee. His son had just taken a drop after 12th to prepare for JEE. Once he found out, I was a student at IIT Roorkee, he started talking and that is when the above comment came up. Rather innocent and apparent.


I didn’t know what he meant by “accha package”. I didn’t bother asking. Neither did I bother clarifying on the stark difference in the starry ideas outsiders often have about the placements at IIT and the humble reality. Too much trouble. It was easier to just smile.

And then we wonder where those starry ides come from. 

3 comments:

  1. The Times of India. That's where they come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. But if we let the myths stay, then we are responsible too.

    ReplyDelete